RIP: Maths wizard Shakuntala Devi, a human computer, no more
* The maths prodigy who was born on November 4, 1939 in a poor family could not get good formal education, but Shakuntala's genius defied all the conventional norms of attaining knowledge. She was admitted to St Theresa's Convent in Chamarajpet for class I, but had to drop out as her parents could not afford the monthly fee of Rs 2
* She grew up in the slum-like environs of Gavipuram Guttahalli. Shakuntala Devi's father was a circus artist. It was once while she was playing cards with her father at the age of three that it was discovered that she is a calculating genius. When Shakuntala Devi was just 6 years old she demonstrated her calculation skills at the University of Mysore.
Awards and Achivement
* Legendary Mathematics wizard Shakuntala Devi, dubbed as the world's fastest 'human computer' and who made complex mental calculations as a child prodigy, died at a hospital here today following respiratory problems.
* In 1977, she received a standing ovation from an audience of learned mathematicians when she extracted the 23rd root of a 201-digit number in just 50 seconds. A high-powered and sophisticated computer then took 62 seconds.
* On 18 June in 1980, she solved the multiplication of two 13-digit numbers 7,686,369,774,870 x 2,465,099,745,779 that were randomly picked by the computer department of Imperial College in London. And this, she did in 28 seconds flat. Her correct answer to this multiplication sum was 18,947,668,177,995,426,462,773,730 setting up a Guinness Record.
* Shakuntala Devi figured in the Guiness Book of World Record for her outstanding ability and wrote numerous books like 'Fun with Numbers', 'Astrology for You', 'Puzzles to Puzzle You', and 'Mathablit'.
Shakuntala's unfinished mission
The maths wizard had a vision to make learning of mathematics easy for children and set up a mathematics university in her name. She wanted to encourage research in vedic mathematics, but the genius has passed away before realising her wish
We can Make her Dreams as a Reality in the coming days
~ Thiyagarajakumar Ramaswamy Phd Mime-Theatre
Ph.d in QREM - Leadership Education and Policy
Ph.d In Mime Theatre,MBL,MBA,BTech